4 cups chicken broth (or veggie)
20 oz broccoli -- fresh or frozen
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1-1/2 cups cooked root veggies (optional - I used organic golden beets and organic carrots left over from a prior meal. Shhh...don't tell the kids.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp freshly-ground nutmeg
2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
3 cups shredded cheese (I used a 3-cheese blend)
1. Saute onions in olive oil until light brown. Stir in a few tablespoons of flour to create a roux. Brown for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
2. In the crockpot, combine the broth, onion mixture, root veggies, and broccoli with the spices.
3. Cook on high 4-6 hours, or low 7-9 hours.
4. Using an immersion blender, pulverize the soup ingredients until smooth.
5. Stir in milk and shredded cheese. Blend again using immersion blender. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Serve.
This recipe may be doubled.