1.5 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water (plus more, if needed)
1 tsp vegetable oil
Butter (for serving)
- Sift flour and salt together in the bowl of a mixer.
- Add water and oil and mix to a soft dough (adding extra water as needed).
- Kneed, with mixer on low, for 5-6 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled, cover with a damp dish towel, and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out on to a floured surface, and divide dough into six equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Press the dough into a larger round with the palm of your hand, then roll into a 5" round. Stack, layered between wax paper (or plastic wrap), to keep moist.
- Heat griddle over high heat. Take one chapati and place on the grill.
- Cook for 30-60 seconds, or until the top begins to bubble and white specks appear on the underside.
- Turn the chapati over using a spatula and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from pan and keep warm until serving. Serve warm with butter.