2 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rice, couscous, or other small grain or pasta
4 sweet peppers (I used one each of yellow, orange, red, and green), halved and seeded
2 TBSP olive oil
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (white and green portions)
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
2 tomatoes, diced (I used home-canned diced tomatoes from our garden)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (or more...mmmm...)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Cook quinoa in water (I used a rice cooker, but you could do this on the stove).
3. Place the peppers cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and skin begins to brown.
4. While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon into the cooked quinoa. Remove from heat, mix in the feta cheese, and spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
5. Return the stuffed peppers to the oven for 5-15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
NOTE: This recipe would be delicious with sliced green olives added with the feta. 1/3 cup, perhaps? Mmm.
Heavily-modified recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.